The Threshing Floor

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Yeah, that makes perfect sense



OK, I don't usually post about political things, but I couldn't resist this. I saw this ad campaign today from Focus on the Family. It's about the same-sex marriage ballot initiative in Colorado. Now, I think I know what they're trying to say, but I think their logic is a bit stretched. "Because dogs don't moo, you should be against gay marriage", is what I'm seeing. My point isn't about gay marriage; but rather, I think often when Christians say and mean one thing, it is often interpreted as something completely different by everyone else.

By the way, this ad is about dogs marrying cows, isn't it?

2 Comments:

  • What a topic! Are you trying to start your own flame show over here? LOL

    I think you're right. An outsider who opens that link would immediately hear the ridicule in the voiceover, triggering a defensive posture. Sarcasm seems a little mean in this instance. Additionally, the information presented is one-sided and pretends to offer proof that all gays can change.

    This is far too sensitive a subject to handle with the glibness of FotF's campaign. I don't know if gay people can change or not, but the fact is that the vast majority of even those who try are not delivered from their orientation. In fact, the number of people in gay-rehab programs who commit suicide is astonishing. I think Dobson et al should try to operate from a more compassionate position than his typical stance of political confrontation. I don't like it.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:20 PM, July 22, 2006  

  • I agree with you, Dorsey. I think this pretty much reinforces the idea that Christians hate homosexuals and consider homosexuality some sort of "super-sin". Perhaps if we approached things with a bit more sensitivity both sides would be willing to dialogue with each other more. Right now, the debate doesn't get much further than the standard talking points.

    By Blogger Phil Miller, At 3:15 PM, July 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home