The Threshing Floor

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Treasure of the Broken Land

Recent discussions on the Resurrection have brought to mind a song that was written by the late Mark Heard called "Treasure of the Broken Land". Heard wrote the song shortly before his death in 1992, and it appears on his album entitled Satellite Sky. This is one of those songs that causes an almost visceral reaction in me, as I nearly am brought to tears everytime I hear it. Not sad tears, but tears of joy and expectation. I believe the line, "parched earth give up your captive ones" really captures the spirit of what Paul was getting at when he wrote this passage in Romans 8:
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

That which is dead will be made new. We as Christians have tasted the firstfruits of the resurrection, but we are waiting for it to fully be revealed. To this we say, "Come, Lord Jesus!"

The video:




I see you now and then in dreams
Your voice sounds just like it used to
I know you better than I knew you then
All I can say is I love you

I thought our days were commonplace
Thought they would number in millions
Now there's only the aftertaste
Of circumstance that can't pass this way again

Treasure of the broken land
Parched earth, give up your captive ones
Waiting wind of Gabriel
Blow soon upon the hollow bones

I saw the city at its tortured worst
And you were outside the walls there
You were relieved of a lifelong thirst
I was dry at the fountain

I knew that you could see my shame
But you were eyeless and sparing
I awoke when you called my name
I felt the curtain tearing

Treasure of the broken land
Parched earth give up your captive ones
Waiting wind of Gabriel
Blow soon upon the hollow bones

I can melt the clock hands down
But only in my memory
Nobody gets the second chance to be the friend they meant to be

I see you now and then in dreams
Your voice sounds just like it used to
I believe I will hear it again
God how I love you

Treasure of the broken land
Parched earth give up your captive ones
Waiting wind of Gabriel
Blow soon upon the hollow bones

A streamed version of the song by Steve Taylor's band, Chagall Guevera is available here.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • That has long been a favorite song of mine as well...both versions, as a matter of fact, tho I think Heard's is a bit more moving. Still, pretty much CG was great. Did you ever get to see them live? I was fortunate to see most of 'em with Taylor at Creation a few years back. It simply Rocked.

    By Blogger Quaver, At 5:55 PM, July 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home